Friday, October 15, 2010

Miss you Dad

Forgive me for not posting lately. My father died unexpectedly on September 23. This has been a very sad time for my family and me. I was very close to him and loved him very much. My Dad has been blind for three years, so I was his eyes, always describing things to him in detail while in his company.

My husband and I took him on September 11th to Pittsburgh's new Consol Energy Center to see a show called "Spirit of America," as my father was very patriotic. When I explained to the ushers that Dad was legally blind, they allowed us to be seated six rows from the floor next to a huge screen to our right allowing him to enjoy the program. We just got a new car and we took him to the show in our new ride. It was a beautiful warm day and we all enjoyed it. I was especially proud when he stood and was honored as a member of the Navy, having fought in WWII. I didn't realize then just how meaningful that day would become, having lost him twelve days later.

I was also with him when he passed. I was blessed to have been there, and know my being there comforted him. He's at peace now, but I miss him so much.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear of your loss, Sue. Sherie's parents both died in our home of Alzheimer's, so I have some idea of what you've been through over the past couple of months. Sounds like you should be very proud of the way you took care of him. You hang in there.

    ReplyDelete